April 26 1906
Another Canterbury Sub-Union established.
The country clubs south of Christchurch, which had operated under the Ellesmere Association since 1897, founded the Ellesmere Sub-Union in 1906.
Other Canterbury Sub-Unions already operating were Ashburton County (formed 1904) and North Canterbury (1905). Still to be established were Banks Peninsula (1907), Malvern (1908), Hurunui (1914), Cheviot (1920) and Kaikoura (1922).
“Ellesmere Union was founded this season, at Leeston on April 26, the Clubs functioning being Lincoln, Lincoln College, Irwell, Leeston, Southbridge, Dunsandel and Milltown Clubs; the Union joined Canterbury Union a a Sub-Union. Doyleston Club was admitted in 1908. In 1897 an Ellesmere Association, for the purpose of conducting a Club competition, was formed at Leeston on May 7, by representatives of Leeston, Lincoln College, Southbridge, Dunsandel and Irwell Clubs, Rakaia and Hororata Clubs being added later.”
From “The History of New Zealand Rugby Football Vol. 1 1870-1945” by A C Swan. First published 1948 by A H & A W Reed. P. 151.