April 8 1907
Another Otago ‘County Committee’ established.
“Another Otago Union Sub-Union, Tuapeka County Sub-Union, was established this year (1910), but the Clubs had previously been associated; on April 8, 1907, Tuapeka County Committee was approved by the main Union, the Clubs then interested being Roxburgh, Miller’s Flat and Coal Creek (Coal Creek Flat) Clubs, these Clubs remaining at this date (1910).”
From “The History of New Zealand Rugby Football Vol. 1 1870-1945” by A C Swan. First published 1948 by A H & A W Reed. P. 161.
With the rugby game spreading strongly throughout rural Otago, Tuapeka was not the only area to go through a two stage process in establishing a Sub Union. The first stage was for the clubs in an area to combine as a County Committee, with recognition from the Otago RFU, and some years later to formally establish a Sub Union.
- Vincent County Committee came into being in 1905, at the request of the Otago RFU, with the Sub Union set up two years later.
- Maniototo Sub Union was approved by the Otago RFU in 1911, having conducted the Maniototo County Committee competition since 1905.
- Eastern District Sub Union affiliated with Otago RFU in 1922, but the area had operated as the Waihemo-Waikouaiti Counties Committee since 1906.
- Tuapeka South Sub Union was established in 1933, in place of the Tuapeka South Committee which had been formed in 1908.